Join us on our Journey Down Under!

We're an American family living in Australia, where everything seems a little bit turned-upside-down.


Thursday, August 26, 2010

Voices In My Head

Yep, that's right, I hear voices in my head.  I'm not sure if we all have them or not, but it's just one of the many reasons I have decided to start blogging. The most profound things come to me throughout the day via  little voices inside my head. It usually happens during a rare quiet moment: when I'm in the shower, rocking Hagen in his nursery, stirring a pot of spaghetti sauce on the stove.  Well, I have decided to share those profound little thoughts with the world.  Mostly because it will give me some sanity, but also because many of my friends and family have encouraged me to write.  I will admit I did just watch "Julie & Julia".  You know, the movie with Meryl Streep as Julia Childs.  It was a huge inspiration to me.  Most people who watch that movie are inspired to cook... not me!  It inspired me to write. 
I know that's more than a little bit corny, but isn't blogging in itself a little bit corny?  I mean, what is it about  other people's lives that intrigue us so much?  Why is being a voyeur on Facebook so much fun?  What is so fascinating about PEOPLE magazine's "Star Tracks?", and don't get me started on our obsession with "reality" television. 

So here it goes, as inspired by "Julie & Julia", I am challenging myself to 365 days of blogging. Yesterday when I went out on a limb and made my blog public, I wasn't sure anyone would read it. Well, a couple people did and it felt great.

At first, I wondered what in the world would I write about?  Then it occurred to me that the blogs I read are interesting to me either because the writer is just like me, experiencing the same things I do, or is the complete opposite of me, and I can have insight into another type of life (much like the PEOPLE magazine obsession).   For me, blogging will be an outlet to express these voices in my head, and maybe in the process connect with others by making them laugh, cry, wonder.

If you would like to support me in my quest, I ask you to "follow" me, "comment", or even pass my blog on to others.  Who knows, I may even be asking YOU to be a guest writer! 


3 comments:

Melinda said...

Blogging for me is VERY theraputic and I think it keeps me creative and writing. Good luck on your journey!

Heidi M said...

What a great personal challenge! Good luck and I look forward to reading more :)

KO said...

It's only day two and I love it already! Going out on a limb is always challenging and cathartic in many ways! Good luck and know you have a lot of support and followers! Looking forward to checking in tomorrow!