Join us on our Journey Down Under!

We're an American family living in Australia, where everything seems a little bit turned-upside-down.


Saturday, September 29, 2012

Movie Review: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days












Here is a three part movie review from an 11 year old girl, a 9 year old boy, and their Mom.

McKinley 11 years old:
I went with my family to see "Diary of a Wimpy Kid:Dog Days."  All the regular cast of characters are back in the third of the Wimpy Kid movies including: Greg, Rowley, Rodrick, and Holly.  Greg wants to have the perfect summer, which in his case means playing video games, but his dad has different ideas.  Greg and his dad don't have all that much in common, so they don't get along that great.  To save himself from being an intern at his dad's work, Greg goes with Rowley to the country club everyday where he is happy to find out Holly, the girl of his dreams, is also hanging out for the summer.  Greg gets himself into his usual mischief; dragging his best friend, Rowley, into all sorts of trouble.  Will Greg have the best summer ever? Will he get the girl of his dreams? Will Rodrick, his annoying brother ruin everything? Watch the movie to find out!
I thought Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days was a touching, but funny movie.  There were some touching parts that had my eyes tearing up, and other parts that had me crying because I was laughing so hard! My favourite funny part was when Holly's sister got what she deserved, a bucket of chocolate poured over her head!  This movie really showed how much a dad loves and cares about his son.  I have seen all three Wimpy Kid movies, and I couldn't believe how much the characters have grown since the first!  It was fun to see how much they have changed.  Although this wasn't my favourite of the three movies, I still give this movie 3.9 out of 5 stars.



Everest 9 years old:
A couple of weeks ago, I saw "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days".  The main character, Greg, wants to have a video game summer, but his dad keeps getting in the way.  He dodges working at his dad's work by pretending to have a job at the Country Club. He goes there with his best friend,Rowley,and gets into all sorts of trouble.  He also goes on vacation with Rowley to an amusement park by the shore and gets into trouble again!  In the end, he goes to a scout camp with his dad, and after a terrible experience there with another troop, they grow closer together. I thought this movie was mostly funny, but also stressful because Greg was always getting into trouble. My favourite part of the movie was when Greg went off the diving board and lost his swimsuit.  He had to swim in the pool all day to hide. I would recommend this movie and give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Mom's review:
The third Wimpy Kid movie was a real treat.  I loved the first two, so was excited to bring my kids to this one.  We left the littlest (2 year old) at home, and I was glad we did.  This movie is best for older primary school aged children, I'd say 8 years old and up.  As a mom, I could really relate to the parents in the story, and I felt like they really pegged some true to life family dynamics.  There was the over zealous dad, endlessly trying to relate to his sons through sports, and competing for "Father Of The Year" with the neighbor next door.  I laughed out loud at the mom that was so much like myself it scared me.  Although Greg gets himself into his usual mischief, I felt like his heart was in the right place.  The movie kept our interest, had us laughing, and pulling for the main character. I felt that this film was wholesome and  appropriate for the target age group which is rare these days.  I would recommend the movie, giving it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: