Join us on our Journey Down Under!

We're an American family living in Australia, where everything seems a little bit turned-upside-down.


Monday, September 13, 2010

Seeing things for the first time...

I love the way Hagen holds his hand out to examine how the sun shines on it. 

He has the same look of awe on his face when I serve a new type of food on his highchair tray. 

I am the luckiest person in the world, because for now, I get to show him things for the first time.  I was there the very first time he squealed with delight as he petted the neighbor's kitty cat.  I was also there when my friend's puppy licked him to pieces and got the same response. 

Showing Hagen things for the first time has opened my eyes to all sorts of things...some good, some not so good.  

I am noticing airplanes in the sky again, and little things like birds sitting on the telephone wire.  I notice how the wind makes the leaves blow, which then makes a "shadow show" on my family room wall.  I notice trash trucks that go BANG, and fast cars that go VROOM!  I notice organic, tear free, and hypo-allergenic.

I notice things from the ground up.  My eyes are now so keen for choking hazards and safety issues around the house. Legos, paperclips, twist ties, hotwheels, cupboards he can open, drawers he can pull out, pebbles that Everest drags in on his shoes, dust bunnies, large food crumbs... the list goes on and on.

Too bad we get complacent to all those ordinary things that make my baby boy go "Wow!"  Wouldn't it be nice if every now and then we noticed the little things?  What if every now and then we literally "stopped to smell the roses?"  My challenge for you today or tomorrow is to see things from the ground up.  Take notice of all those little things God has created.  Pretend you are seeing them for the first time.  Possibly you will find something He created purely for your enjoyment, so ENJOY it!

No comments: